Thursday 3 October 2013

Lindelof: I Still Get Hate For Lost Finale


Damon Lindelof has revealed to The Hollywood Reporter that he still receives Twitter hatred for the final episode of Lost, especially now that Breaking Bad has ended.

"My Twitter feed was pretty much a unanimous run of, 'Did you see that, Lindelof? That's how you end a show'," he wrote. "Three years later, it appears that it is not just enough to love Breaking Bad's finale. You also have to hate ours."



"I jump at the opportunity to acknowledge how many people were dissatisfied with how it ended," he continued.

"I try to be self-deprecating and witty when I do this, but that's an elaborate (or obvious?) defence mechanism to let people know I'm fully aware of the elephant in the room and I'm perfectly fine with it sitting down on my face and shitting all over me.

"It's the story that we wanted to tell, and we told it," he insisted. "No excuses. No apologies. I look back on it as fondly as I look back on the process of writing the whole show.


"There are fans who actually love the way Lost ended. And I can feel the abuse they've taken for having what has become a wildly unpopular opinion, which only makes me love them more. Unfortunately, these kind souls are vastly overwhelmed by, well, less kind souls." 

Lost aired its finale simultaneously in the US and the UK in May 2010, attracting 13.57m viewers in US alone.

The level of hate for the finale is, to be honest, a bit baffling. The show neatly wrapped up every mystery that was left (apart from that pigging outrigger...), provided emotional closure, and still managed to throw in a few surprises.

The biggest complaint still seems to be that wonderful church scene, which - rather than being "out of the blue" and "stupid" as many fans claim - was actually forshadowed many times throughout the show's run, with the nature of the "flash-sideways" scenes being revealed way back in Season 3 with Eko. But some fans didn't seem to get this (odd, considering that no fanbase before or since has meticulously taken apart every little detail to the extent that Lost fans did during its six-year run), and instead complained that "they were dead all along", even though the show explicitly states that this wasn't the case.

"They'll all get this, right?"
"Yeah, don't worry about it, Man..."

So don't be sad, Damon, I think you did okay with the end of Lost.

But if you wanted to explain Prometheus to me, that'd be great...

No comments:

Post a Comment