Wednesday 16 October 2013

Moffat Didn't Think Bow Ties Were Cool


Stephen Moffat has been talking to The Radio Times about Peter Capaldi's costume when he hits the screen as the Twelfth (?) Doctor this Christmas.


The showrunner says that he is leaving the costume choice up to Capaldi, as (shockingly) Moffat nearly vetoed Matt Smith's iconic bow tie look when the costume for Eleven was being decided.

"I think [Capaldi is shopping] actually right now – I think literally right now.

"He was texting me ‘I’m out with [the wardrobe stylist] at the moment, it’s going quite well’ and some descriptions of clothes I did not understand. If it’s not a suit…

"I’ll just let them get on with it and it’ll be ‘yes’ or ‘no’ a the end."

Moffat went on to reveal the fact that Smith could have had a wildly different look (Moff famously wanted a 'piratey outfit'): "Matt said “I should be a boffin, I think I need to go with the bow tie”and I said “No, absolutely not, you’re not wearing a bow tie – that’s a cartoon idea of what Doctor Who is… Oh, you are going to wear a bow tie – you look incredible in it.


"And from that moment on he suddenly came to life, and he put the tweed jacket on and suddenly he’s leaping round the room with a biro pen and that was it – he was the Doctor."

Moffat isn't worried about what Capaldi will pick though - he claims that ‘[Peter] likes his clothes. He’s got very strong opinions about clothes, he’s very dashing."

With production set to begin on Season 8 next month, we shouldn't be far from seeing what fruits Capaldi's shopping trip bore.

No comments:

Post a Comment