Friday 18 October 2013

Idris Elba: "I've Never Watched The Wire"


Idris Elba has admitted to Playboy that he's never watched a full season of The Wire, because he is his own worst critic.

"I've seen a full episode at screenings but never at home," Elba says.

"I've never watched an entire season. I've not seen any episode of season 2, most of season 3, and none of seasons 4 and 5. I'm supercritical of my own work.

  

"As an actor, if you're being told how wonderful you are, what do you need to strive for? I don't know if I'm good just because some critic says I am in the press."

Then, letting his serious front drop for a second, Elba jokes: "The Golden Globe award told me that, thanks. And the two Emmy nominations. Just the small things."

Elba played Stringer Bell in the excellent HBO series, which is often cited by critics as being the greatest television series of all time.

If you're reading this, Idris, then I recommend you give it a watch. It's really rather good.

No comments:

Post a Comment