Tuesday 22 October 2013

Amanda Abbington Confirms Sherlock Role

Amanda Abbington has confirmed that her character in the upcoming third season of the BBC's superb Sherlock is Mary Morstan, the love interest and eventual wife of Martin Freeman's Doctor John Watson.

The Mr Selfridge actress is Freeman's long-term partner in real life, and has previously worked with The Moff on Coupling.

Though she'll always be Marilyn Off Of Dream Team to me...

Speaking to The Scotsman, Abbington says that her character will come between John and Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) as a "kind of third wheel".

"I remember doing a scene very early on with Martin and Ben, and I was standing in between them and I thought, 'I really have to up my game, this is proper'," she said.

"They really bounce off each other. When I was at the read-through, I remember watching them, and the chemistry between them is just amazing. They do have this beautiful relationship, so getting in between that - which is what Mary does, she becomes this kind of third wheel - was scary.

"Also, the fans love these two together, so I'm sure Mary won't be particularly liked by them, but I hope that on the whole people really like her, because she's a great character and she has some fantastic secrets."

 

Abbington went on to reveal that she was always the only actress ever in consideration for the role.

She recalls: "We were at Mark Gatiss's house when 'The Hounds of Baskerville' first came on the telly. Afterwards they went into the kitchen and were sitting talking about the next series. I went in and sat with them.

"It had been mooted that I would be in it, might have a little part in it. They were talking about who might play Mary and I was like, 'So, who are you thinking of?' and they said 'You'.

"I got very emotional because it just seemed so amazing, just such a gift."

Co-created by Stephen Moffat and Mark Gatiss, Sherlock Season Three is coming to BBC One and BBC OneHD soon. If you've not seen the first two seasons yet, then do yourself a massive favour and watch them now.

Then count yourself lucky that you've not had to wait two years to see how THAT cliffhanger gets resolved, unlike the rest of us...

No comments:

Post a Comment